Since snoring is a problem that affects such a wide range of the population, it can be helpful to see the numbers related to different snoring conditions. Below, we’ve compiled a list of some of the statistics that we have come across when it comes to sleep disorders.
1) As much as 30% of people aged thirty and above are snorers. When it comes to middle-aged people, the proportion rises to 40%.
2) There is an approximate ratio of 2:1 sufferers of snoring amongst men to women. However, this gap catches up after women reach menopause.
3) Two-thirds of all partnered adults say that their partner snores. When asked individually whether they snore or not, people responded with “yes” at a rate of 6 out of 10, or 59%.
4) Approximately 9% of all men and 4% of all women between the ages of 30 and 60 are affected by sleep apnea.
5) A person that is afflicted with untreated obstructive sleep apnea is up to four times as likely to have a stroke, as well as three times more likely to have heart disease.
6) Approximately one-half of all patients who have essential hypertension are also afflicted with obstructive sleep apnea. In addition, approximately one-half of all patients who have sleep apnea have essential hypertension.
7) People that are suffering from obstructive sleep apnea are as much as six times more likely to be involved in a car crash than those without sleep disorders. This is due to the fact that they are drowsy from the condition.
9) Snoring women are significantly shorter in height and heavier in weight than their non-snoring counterparts, in addition to having a greater incidence of nasal problems.
10) Patients with untreated obstructive sleep apnea have a 3% risk of stroke and heart attack. The treatment for apnea known as CPAP can be used to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of stroke by approximately 20%.
With these statistics, it’s easy to see that snoring is a wide-ranged problem that can affect a multitude of facets of your personal health. Responsible for many health issues, it is important to get your snoring problem checked out, and not to brush it aside, as it can affect not only you but the lives of those around you. Act today, and save yourself a host of troublesome issues down the road.